MENU

'People could have been killed': 14 people sent to hospital after carbon monoxide leak

GAS LEAK scene portage.jpg

PORTAGE, Wis. - At least 14 people were transported to the hospital after carbon monoxide levels at a food production plant in Portage were considered "dangerously high."

"People could have been killed because of this problem," Portage Fire Lt. Steve Dahn said.

Two of the people who were sent to Divine Savior Healthcare in Portage have already been released, according to Director of Community Relations Haley Gilman. She said the other 12 patients are in stable condition and under observation before they can be released.

Emergency crews responded to Dawn's Foods after dispatchers received a report of a person feeling lightheaded around 3:17 p.m. Wednesday.

When crews arrived at the scene, they found a carbon monoxide levels at 800 parts per million, which is considered an uncommon and dangerous level.

Dahn said the problem was discovered early on when a member of the maintenance crew found condensation on the door where the hot water heater was located.

Multiple people are being treated in area hospitals as a result of the leak. Officials do not know how many people were transported to the hospital at this time.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER