LOS ANGELES (SBG) — Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are suing paparazzi after photos surfaced of their 14-month-old son, Archie, playing in their backyard.
The couple has hired Michael J. Kump, whose other clients have included Kim Kardashian West, to represent them in the case.
“Every individual and family member in California is guaranteed by law the right to privacy in their home,” Kump said in a statement obtained by the New York Times. “No drones, helicopters or telephoto lenses can take away that right.”
Kump said the Duke and Duchess of Sussex filed the lawsuit Thursday to protect Archie's right to privacy in their home. The defendants are not named in the lawsuit since Harry and Meghan don't know who the photographers were.
The couple stepped away from their royal duties and left Britain earlier this year. The young family moved to a secluded estate in the Los Angeles area, but media coverage has followed them consistently.
“The plaintiffs have done everything in their power to stay out of the limelight — except in connection with their work, which they freely admit is newsworthy,” the lawsuit reads. “But the photos at issue are not news. They are not in the public interest. They are harassment.”
This lawsuit is one of many clashes the royal couple has had with paparazzi over the past year.
Last year, Prince Harry admonished the press for its unrelenting coverage of his wife, saying he was fearful history would repeat itself, a reference to his mother, Princess Diana. Paparazzi constantly hounded Princess Diana before her death in 1997. Her car crashed while trying to flee photographers in Paris and her death pushed lawmakers in California to adopt similar anti-paparazzi legislation.